Depending on your company settings, as well as on the tax rules for the type of expense you are reporting, you might be required to enter VAT rates and amounts in the expense entry form (optional or mandatory):
The Expense tool can pre-calculate the applicable rate for the selected expense type, depending on the expense location you entered. Make sure that you enter at least a city and a country, and a province if applicable (e.g. for Canada).
If a VAT rate applies according to your company settings, it will be pre-selected and the corresponding amount will be calculated automatically.
Some specific VAT rules may apply, for which Expense will not have enough information to calculate VAT amounts. For example in France, for a dinner expense including alcoholic beverages, two VAT rates apply on portions of the total amount, depending of the price of the alcohol.
Check all pre-calculated VAT rates and amounts and modify them when necessary. You can add or delete VAT amounts by clicking on the “+” button or the trash can icon respectively, on the right-hand side of the corresponding form field.
The following checks are made to prevent incorrect entries:
- If you select a VAT rate of 0%, you cannot select an additional rate for the same expense item.
- If you select a VAT rate other than 0%:
- you cannot select the same rate more than once for the same expense item.
- you must enter a non-zero figure in the Amount field.
- Choosing the Expense Type
- Completing the Expense Form
- Claiming a Daily Allowance
- Per Diem Allowances
- Adding Expense Items with Cost Allocation
- Adding Expenses from a Credit Card Statement
- Policy Compliance
- Identifying Expenses Incurred on a Weekend
- Splitting an Expense Item
- Duplicating an Expense Item
- Identifying Duplicate Expense Items